Wednesday 5 October 2011

My Statue



Long ago, the people of faraway land invaded our small island. They were very different. We never liked them at all. See!……the way they looked…….the way they walked…the way they talked….every thing was so different from the way we used to know and do….They brought many different things with them.They brought weapons too….the weapons,....we never saw before…and…..they all knew very well how to use them…..Those weapons were very deadly…I can never forget how quickly my uncle died when a fire ball came out from the long nose of one of their weapons facing him…

I was only a little girl ……see…….that day I hid my self in a quiet corner of our cottage ..for the whole day…… and ..a whole night…..I took my rag doll with me……but It looked scared too…I couldn’t see her eyes in dark....but I felt she was crying too…

Then the next day I saw some of those different people in my town……they were talking to my father…who seemed to ignore them at first ..then I found him nodding his head frequently…in…. ‘yes‘…and ……‘no‘..most of the time…!!!!!

After some time I saw those different people , almost everywhere around the area…
I was growing with the struggle to accept different people and their differences..but it was not easy …can you understand what I mean…..?

I used to observe them from behind a big heap of rocks, my father told me was a sacred icon….

One day I saw some different people bringing a big statue in their side of land.They fixed it along the seaside….
I liked it very much....I liked the way …the statue was dressed , all wrapped in …..,It was carrying a torch …which was very interesting….in one hand…… and.... a book ..in the other…….…‘book‘…I never saw one before….but I remember it was the best part I liked about the statue….and what else….oh..the statue was crowned with a very strange kind of hat…and…I felt that under the weight of the heavy hat…. it’s face..looked stern…… I never liked he way it was staring…..though!

With time, I found. every single part of the statue ‘meant ‘something that was actually brought to our little Island along with it…a culture, prestige, education, strength,…..leadership…hope and ..liberty of-course….!

With time, as I grew up..I could really see the difference..those different people made….as I started understanding the meaning of culture, prestige, education…and leadership…..etc!

Now I want to tell you a secret today…‘I used to talk to the statue …a lot!’…shhhh….and all the meanings I understood was just because of it….don’t tell my secrets to anyone else….(or else!!!!!…)
I’m getting old now….sometimes I feel the statue is growing old too…..or may be it’s just the delusion of my withering mind……that…sometimes I see…. as if the torch in the hand of the statue is falling down…sometimes….it seems as if someone is snatching the book....my favourite…. from statue’s other hand….and sometimes…the crown…..no…no….and the worst of all….……I really don't want to mention it......I feel as if someone is trying to pull away..that nicely wrapped gown…from the body of the statue….
I told you…didn’t I….I’m getting old …I’ve started assuming a..lot…I often become so scared…just I like used to become…when I was a little girl…..especially with the thought …” what would happen if the whole statue….!!!!…..no …no…I’ll never…let this happen in my life…as all my hopes were connected with it and are growing.... with it….
.
My language is much improved.. in these years…see…I have learnt a lots of words of this different language…..I’ve learnt many ways to communicate…but still I feel very different from the rest of people…you know why…may be because I still don’t know how to tell a lie, safely….haha…I am so used to speak the truth since my childhood…a bad habit…hmmm…..may be it’s my fault..and no one else’s……..definitely..!

Well ! I have tried to improve my self …a lot…believe me…I mean .....to get along with what is happening….and….I ‘ve tried my best to understand every single thing ….. like understanding the meanings of every single word linked to my favourite statue……like…culture, prestige, education…and leadership….hope.....etc…I told you…remember!!!! 

Only one words confuses me a lot…and the more I think about it, the more confused I become,,,,and that word isssss..... …’Liberty‘..

You know what… I have this feeling ….somewhere inside me..that perhaps…I’ve mis-understood it……..somehow…I guess!!!!!!!

May be I’ll be able see what It really means…in near future…I still hope….if live longer.....
Then what?……shhhh...now I 'm going to tell you another secret…….....Once I’ll understand the meanings of liberty…I will start calling my favourite statue ..“The Statue Of Liberty”…for sure!
 
SW

No comments:

Post a Comment